Monday, 18 February 2019

Week 4 - Lecture

During today's lecture we were learning about business models in the digital world. The content of this lecture was way more complex than the previous ones and helped me see how information systems are defining processes in organisations nowadays and how they are tightly connected with the organisation's functioning on so many levels.

I found interesting the fact, that features of organisation itself require involvement of technology in order to operate smoothly, efficiently and effectively but then after implementing the technology - the features of the organisation change and bring another challenges into play. This influence works both ways and that is why I get an understanding of how dynamic the transformation actually is. To be successful or avoid redundancy, it is crucial to keep up with trends and learn constantly as well as trying to predict the currents of "evolution" in order to know what is going to be valued (what skills, knowledge and experience) in certain sector or business in general and therefore staying qualified and competent for meeting the professional demands. This stands right not just for an individual such as me but nonetheless for a business itself to stay healthy and thriving. Flexibility, adaptability and creativity should be deeply written in the DNA of every business of the modern day. I would say this was the main idea of the lecture that made impact on me and I will keep it in mind when making my future professional and career decisions.

Another interesting topic were the Organisational strategies. Choosing a strategy is something so natural and obvious when taken in consideration but I literally first time realised how it really defines the company as a whole in probably every aspect of its functioning. E.g. FLC strategy might determine factors such as where the production will be located - employee costs , where to source goods and also who to employ and the shape of organisational structure itself (which areas to focus on and invest into - research or finance, marketing or HR..etc..).

What caught my attention was also the 5 Mitzberg's types of organisational structure. They are mainly determined by the sector in which the organisation is active. They each have specific advantages and disadvantages and specific challenges to overcome.

We were also talking about different levels in the company from operational and managerial to executive level. I personally have experience with working in the bottom 2 levels and can totally agree with what was said about each. I still have the executive level left to experience and hopefully will manage to do that in the future.

In my opinion the lectures are starting to be more challenging in terms of understanding everything straight away at the class but I think I can still keep up. Anyways I will go through all the slides at home to soak it in properly and get deeper understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 11 - Lecture

During today's lecture we were talking about cyber security, crimes and controls.